Losing Dta on that new SSD?

I read a recent report that talks about the probability that SSDs or solid state drivers, will lose the data stored on them if they are not powered up for varying periods of time. I've shied away from using these drives, not because I don't appreciate the fast drive speeds, but because SSDs use flash memory for storage. If you have ever used a Flash drive for any period of time, you know that they will go bad after so many uses, or periods of time. Using a SSD for critical PC and server drives,is not something I have ever recommended and still don't.

Appartently, data stored on SSDs can be lost after periods of time  varying from months to as short as a few days. What kills the data is the fact that the drive is dormant for a time in locations where the temparatuire is poorly controlled. The period of time for storage is halved for every 9 degrees of temperature. As mentioned in the article, a SSD stored in a warm room (77 degrees) wll last about two years. However, if the temperature goes up to 86 degrees, the amount of time that data  is stored is cut in half.

Some higher performance SSDs are better at retaining data at higher temperatures. Regardless, you should maintain a constant temperature in the normal human tolerated range and keep in mind the life of the SSD flash material storing the data will keep an electrical charge. Otherwise something so simple as leaving a door open to the hot summer temperature, or losing power because of an electrical storm, has the potential to doom your data.

I'd suggest that if you use SSDs, use them for what they are good for: speed, and also for limited periods of time. If the data is important enough to you, copying it onto a standard hard drive is the better choice for the long run.